Kristy's Big Day is the sixth book in the original Baby-Sitters Club series.
Kristy's mom and Watson Brewer are just beginning their wedding plans when circumstances force them to move the date up—to only two and a half weeks away. All the Thomas relatives, plus friends of Watson's, descend on Stoneybrook to help out, bringing along eleven kids from age eight months to ten. The BSC steps in and forms a kind of day camp for the week before the wedding, dividing the kids (plus Karen, Andrew, and David Michael) into groups and running art projects, games and field trips (to the brook, the movies, the library, the playground, and the barbershop to get haircuts for the wedding). On the day of the rehearsal dinner, the kids act out a mock wedding. The real wedding happens the next day in Watson's backyard without a hitch (except for Morbidda Destiny showing up at the last minute).
Kristy worries about what to get her mom and Watson for a wedding gift. She finally makes a family tree showing the joining of the two families.
Other plot information
- Before all the families arrive for the wedding, most of the BSC goes to the Final Fling dance at Stoneybrook Middle School. Kristy goes with Alan Gray; Claudia goes with Austin Bentley; and Stacey goes with Pete Black.
- David Michael wins the "Citizenship Award" in his class on the last day of school.
- The day camp groups:
- Stacey: Luke Meiner (10 years old), Ashley Miller (9), Emma Meiner (8) (red star nametags)
- Dawn: David Michael Thomas (7), Berk Miller (6), Karen Brewer (6) (bluebird nametags)
- Kristy: Grace Miller (5), Katherine Fielding (5), Andrew Brewer (4) (yellow sun nametags)
- Claudia: Peter Miller (3), Patrick Fielding (3), Maura Fielding (2) (green dinosaur nametags)
- Mary Anne: Beth Meiner (1), Tony Fielding (8 months) (pink heart nametags)
- Jamie Newton (who Kristy was supposed to sit for) comes to the library one day with Kristy's and Claudia's groups.
- The mock wedding lineup:
- Minister: Luke
- Bride: Karen
- Groom: David Michael
- Maids-of-honor: Emma and Grace
- Flower girl: Katherine
- Ring bearer: Patrick
- Father of the bride: Berk
- Mother of the bride: Ashley
- Ushers: Andrew and Peter
- The real wedding lineup:
Clients in this book
- Kristy's family in Stoneybrook:
- Kristy's relatives:
- Watson's friends:
- Mrs. Porter (Morbidda Destiny)
- Ben Brewer
- Jody Jones
- Trevor Sandbourne
- Alan Gray
- Pete Black
- Dorianne Wallingford
- Austin Bentley
- Sheila, later named Lisa Engle
- Kendall, later named Seth Engle
- Mr. Bowman
- Mimi Yamamoto
- Mr. Gates
- Mr. Pratt
- Mr. Fineman
Places in this book
- The Ramada Inn in Shelbyville
- Kelsey Middle School
- Stoneybrook Elementary School
- Stoneybrook High School
- The brook
- Stoneybrook Library
- The Embassy Theater
- Mr. Gates' barbershop
- Claudia at the BSC meeting: "A black leotard and skintight red pants under a white shirt that was so big it looked like a lab coat, with designs painted in acrylic. She had pinned her long, black hair back at the sides with red clips."
- Stacey at the BSC meeting: "Stacey’s blonde hair was permed, and what with that, her purple nail polish, and her Swatch accessories, she looked, well, kind of like a thirteen-year-old Madonna."
- Kristy's "glamorous" new dress for the rehearsal dinner: "a gigantic white sweater with silver designs woven into it."
- Austin Bentley is mentioned as being "a new boy in town."
- David Michael gives Elizabeth and Watson goldfish as a wedding present, but they're not mentioned in any later books (even when Karen and Andrew adopt goldfish in the Baby-Sitters Little Sister series.
- Watson's ex-wife and her husband are named Sheila and Kendall in this book, but are re-named Lisa and Seth Engle in later books.
- On her end-of-year report card, Kristy gets "straight A's again."
- The BSC earns $600 total for sitting for all the kids for a week, at $3 an hour apiece, which Elizabeth Brewer says is "slightly more than what they usually charge." (Each of them also receives a $10 bonus.)
- The mock wedding appears in the TV episode The Baby-sitters Remember, pretty similiar to its description in the book (including the same dialogue).
- Elizabeth and Watson have to pay so that Kristy can keep going to Stoneybrook Middle School instead of Kelsey Middle School, which is closer to Watson's house. They also have to pay to keep David Michael at Stoneybrook Elementary School.
Pop culture references
- Little Women
- Bride of Frankenstein
- I Married a Witch
- Green Eggs and Ham
- Where the Sidewalk Ends
- Bugs Bunny
- Mickey Mouse
- Mary Poppins
- Sesame Street
- Mister Rogers' Neighborhood
- Star Wars
Discuss this book on this article's Talk page!