List of References to Controlled Substances
The following is a list of references to alcohol, cigarettes or narcotics in the Baby-Sitters Club books:
- Charlie Thomas asks to have some wine at dinner and receives what is apparently the standard response from his mother: "When you reach the drinking age, then you may drink," in #6, Kristy's Big Day.
- David Michael Thomas says that the drunk pirates were his favorite part of Disney World's Pirates of the Caribbean ride (and sings, "Yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!") in SS #1, Baby-Sitters on Board!.
- In Stacey and the Bad Girls, the Bad Girls sneak wine in their flop socks into a U4Me concert, getting everyone in trouble.
- Abby catches Buddy Barrett and Lindsey DeWitt about to smoke a cigarette in M#29, Stacey and the Fashion Victim. It is also revealed for the first time that Franklin DeWitt is a longtime smoker. Later, Watson Brewer and Aunt Cecilia's smoking habits are discussed. All of them participate in "The Great Stoneybrook Smokeout", along with Mrs. Hobart, and at least Watson and Cecilia quit smoking forever and ever.
- In M#13, Mary Anne and the Library Mystery, Mary Anne says (in her narration), "As for books that are about subjects such as divorce or drugs, well, those things exist in the world, and books aren’t the cause."
page revision: 4, last edited: 17 Jan 2008 19:50